Summer Camp Program
Horizon offers a week long summer camp experience where adults with physical disabilities team up, usually one on one, with able-bodied volunteers for a week of recreation, learning and fun. This year's camp will take place at Timber Pointe Outdoor Center, which is an Easter Seals Camp located in Hudson, Illinois. This site is just 12 miles outside Bloomington/Normal. The camp rests on 170 rolling acres of land on beautiful Lake Bloomington. The site includes air-conditioned cabins, a heated pool with ramp access, accessible shower facilities and a new state of the art Lodge.
Every cabin has wheelchair access and there are a limited number of hospital beds available. The past years, Horizon has hosted as many as 107 adults with physical disabilities and over 150 volunteers. Every year space is limited so send in your application early.
2018 Summer Camp is July 15th - 21st
This year's theme is has yet to be determined
- 2018 Camp applications will be available in January. Applications can be completed online only. Please read the entire instructions before completing your application.
- After you fill out your online application you will need to download and mail your waiver and physical form.
- Activities include our "pamper-yourself" spa day, campfires, arts & crafts, swimming, Pontoon boat rides, a variety of sporting events, talent shows and comedy acts.
- In previous years we hosted workshops in adaptive yoga, living wills, assistive technology and independent living. We work every year to bring an educational workshop to our camp population.
- Some of our favorite evening activities have included: nightly cookouts, Casino Night, Karaoke and our Friday night dance.
- The camp is provided free of charge for all volunteers and participants.
- Transportation: Participants and volunteers are expected to provide for their own transportation to and from camp. Limited transportation is available at a cost, for more information please contact George Czerwoinka.
- Packing for camp can be a difficult task. For a list of suggestions, click here.
- Need directions? Visit this map to find the camp site.
- Would you like to join the camp committee, contact them and let them know you are interested in helping.
- Interested in being a camp sponsor? Click Sponsorship for more details
Who Can Volunteer?
Anyone 16 years of age, or older, who can donate a week of their time & energy is welcomed. No previous experience is necessary -- just a willingness to help. Training sessions are provided to ensure the safety of everyone involved. For more information visit volunteering.
Who Can Attend? Anyone 18 years of age, or older, with a physical disability can attend the Horizon Summer Camp program. Applications are processed on a first come, first served basis. Acceptance is contingent on our Camper Criteria, a completed physical, availability of volunteers, funds, etc.